Besides everyone likes deep-fried food.
There is nothing better than to bite down onto something hot, hard and crispy ;]
Oh don't you look at me like that, you know it's true.
This will feed a family of 10 (depending on how small you make them). I make them bite-size.
- 1 large carrot - finely grated
- 1 large red onion - diced into small cubes
- 3-4 Cloves garlic - diced
- 1 egg
- 6 pieces of Cloud-ear fungus or Shitake Mushrooms(you don't need to use this, I just did because of CNY) - finely sliced
- Handful of Vermicelli rice noodles - soak for about 30seconds-1minute in warm water before.
- 150-200g Pork or beef - minced/diced/smacked up
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1-2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- Salt and pepper
Essentially you can use any vegetables/meat you want. Just slice and dice.
- 1 Pack of Spring Roll Pastry (i.e. TYJ Spring Home) - this comes in a huge pack of squares, cut them up so you get 4 small squares.
- Dicing: slice/grate/chop all your vegetables + Vermicelli noodles and toss into a large steel bowl.
- Mix: Arm yourself using chopsticks/fork/spatula and stir the mix up so all the ingredients are well blended together.
- Crack in the egg and mix again: this helps to combine the mixture together.
- Folding: Grab your square of spring roll pastry, and plant it diagonally on your work surface so it looks like a diamond
b) Dollop a teaspoon of the mix in the centre of the diamond.
c) Take the bottom corner and fold it over the mix in the centre.
d) Take the right hand corner and fold it over to the centre of the diamond.
e) Do the same to the opposite side.
f) Now, you should have something that resembles an open envelope.
g) Using the dollop of mix as a guide just roll it up to the top corner.
h) Rub some of the raw egg on the last corner to seal the spring roll, so it won't collapse when you fry it.
Catch my drift?
(Here's an image I took from google to show you, as I forgot to take images of me folding them.)
(Image taken from Google Images)
5. Fry: shallow fry the spring rolls for 4-5mins until they are golden. OR if you're feeling health conscious you can oven bake them at 180-200 degrees Celsius for 15mins, be sure to brush them with oil first.
6. Quality Control: Slice one open to ensure that it is cooked.
7. FEAST ! Indulgence when it's earned is the sweetest.
The filling mix - the lumpier the better
How your spring roll will look after the folding/rolling stage
Ready to eat!
The best spring rolls are the ones you make yourself.
I don't know about you but there has been many a time where I have ordered spring rolls in restaurants and once I bite in to them...I instantly regret it; because there is just a piece of cabbage and some carrots making eyes at me in the centre.
Avoid future woes and make these bad boys.
You will be the most popular one at any dinner party if they are your escort.